I would never have thought of these ingredients being perfectly complimentary and surprisingly delightful! Sweet tangy oranges, the subtle flavor of fennel, salty olives, a handful of parsley.. so good!
- 4 oranges, peeled, sliced in bite size pieces
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Dried red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 handful kalamata olives (or pitted black olives)
- 1 handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Mix together oil, lemon juice, cumin, paprika, red pepper flakes and salt.
- Toss with oranges, fennel, onions.
- Sprinkle with olives and chopped parsley.
- Serve and enjoy or make ahead of time and let marinade overnight
Thanks PCC Natural Markets for the inspiration. I modified the recipe slightly from the original here.
Celebrate the longer evenings and sunnier days with a hint of summer kind of dinner – spinach salad with strawberries, warm chicken and goat cheese! 🙂
- Large bunch of spinach (~5 cups, washed & dried)
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 3 oz goat cheese
- 1-2 cups cooked and shredded or diced chicken (GREAT use of a leftover roast chicken)
- Dress with vinegar & olive oil, poppy seeds, salt & pepper
- Slivered almonds (optional)
- Toss the spinach and strawberries with the dressing
- Lightly mix in goat cheese and almonds and chicken
- Serve immediately – excellent with cold or still warm chicken!