I would never have thought of these ingredients being perfectly complimentary and surprisingly delightful! Sweet tangy oranges, the subtle flavor of fennel, salty olives, a handful of parsley.. so good!
- 4 oranges, peeled, sliced in bite size pieces
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Dried red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 handful kalamata olives (or pitted black olives)
- 1 handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Mix together oil, lemon juice, cumin, paprika, red pepper flakes and salt.
- Toss with oranges, fennel, onions.
- Sprinkle with olives and chopped parsley.
- Serve and enjoy or make ahead of time and let marinade overnight
Thanks PCC Natural Markets for the inspiration. I modified the recipe slightly from the original here.