This is a staple recipe in my house and a great way to prepare chicken. I like to make a big batch and freeze in small containers. Hungry toddler? No problem! Heat up the chicken and some veggies or make a chicken and cheese quesadilla.. and you have a quick and healthy dinner.
I also like this as a base recipe for tacos – poach the chicken, shred it, and then add taco seasoning!
- Whole chicken or 4 large chicken breasts
- 1 onion, roughly sliced
- Put everything in a pot and add water till it almost covers the chicken
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 45-60 minutes
- Remove chicken, put on a plate and let cool
- Once cool enough to handle, de-bone the chicken and remove skin
- Shred meat with a fork and put back in a new pot
- Add 1/2 cup of the chicken stock back and bring to a simmer – add additional spices as desired
- As for the rest of the liquid (in original pot), remove onions, but save the liquid as this is excellent chicken stock that you can freeze and use later