One of my favorite things to make in the summer is a grilled fruit salad. It may sound strange, but after you try it once, you will be hooked!
The cantaloupe in this particular salad isn’t grilled, but when it’s mixed with the caramalized grilled onions, it cooks them juuuuust a bit, and it’s so good!
Ingredients (to serve 4)
- 1 Cantaloupe (cut into bite sized pieces..
- 1 large sweet onion
- 4 Tablespoons of goat cheese
- Handful of diced almonds
- 4-6 Cups of salad greens. Your choice, but I like to use a mix that has both spinach and arugula, because those wilt nicely.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (amount not measured, but will describe in instructions :))
- Sea Salt and Pepper
- Trader Joe’s Reduced Balsamic Glaze.
- Light your grill and set it to a medium heat.
- Cut your onion into 1/2 inch slices.
- Lightly coat onions on both sides in a tiny bit of olive oil and salt and pepper
- Set on the grill for 8-10 minutes
- While the onions are grilling, dice up the cantaloupe and almonds. Take both the cantaloupe and almonds, along with broken goat cheese and toss over the salad greens in a big bowl.
- Once the onions are caramelized, dice them up and toss into the salad.
- Drizzle a tint bit of olive oil (a little goes a long way!) and Trader Joe’s Glaze, and a bit of sea salt and pepper over and toss it all together.
The creamy goat cheese will melt with the caramelized onion. That all blended with the light olive oil, the balsamic and the moisture from the cantaloupe…SO GOOD!!!!
And so good for you!
If you liked this recipe, then you might enjoy these two others as well.
Grilled Chicken, Onions, and Peaches with Avocado Tomato Salsa
Grilled Chicken, Onions, and Plums, and Goat Cheese Salad