It’s been so hot in Seattle that all I can think of making is frozen treats! Granita is an Italian dessert made of sugar, water and flavor or juice and is very easy to make.
- 10 ounces fresh strawberries (about 2½ cups), hulled
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar, or to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar
- More balsamic vinegar for topping (optional)
- Combine berries and sugar in a food processor until smooth. Stir in water and vinegar. Transfer to a glass baking dish and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Thoroughly scrape the entire pan with a fork, breaking up ice crystals. Repeat freezing and scraping process every 30 minutes, until granita is firm but not frozen solid, 2 to 4 hours.
- Spoon into small glasses and serve.
- Garnish with a fresh strawberry and a few drops of balsamic vinegar (optional)
Thanks PCC Natural Markets for the inspiration!