Well, it’s pushing 90 in Seattle this week which really is not bad given the damp chilly weather we had this winter. OK, 90 does start to feel a little hot, but that’s when you make awesome Lemon Granita! 🙂
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar (or 2/3 cups honey)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons chopped fresh basil, mint, lemon balm or rosemary (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- Combine water and sugar in a saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and stir in optional fresh herbs. Cool to room temperature; strain.
- Stir together herbed simple syrup, lemon juice and zest. Transfer to a non-reactive baking dish and freeze for 30 minutes. Thoroughly scrape the entire pan with a fork, breaking up ice crystals. Repeat this freezing and scraping process every 30 minutes, until granita is firm but not frozen solid, 2 to 4 hours.
- Spoon into small glasses and serve.
Thanks and inspired by the PCC Granita de Limone recipe!