I made this for Maya’s birthday, which was back in…..
Poor thing’s birthday is right in the midst of my busiest time at work! She still got the cake she requested, but I never had time to blog it!
I used Paleo Grubs “Famous Vanilla Cake” and only made a few changes. Everyone LOVED it, and no guilt either!
For the cake
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp raw honey
- 5 tbsp coconut flour
- 5 tbsp almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract or seeds from one vanilla pod
For the filling
- 1 3/4 cups raw cashews, soaked for at least 4 hour and drained well
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup honey
- about 1/3 cup water
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- seeds from one vanilla pod
- ⅛ tsp sea salt
Directions for Frosting
- Original recipe says to make the filling a day ahead. I made mine the day of, but made it first and chilled it while I was making the cake.
- Place all the ingredients except water in a high power blender and blend until smooth. Add the water, a tablespoon at the time until the filling become silky and you get your desired texture.Having a cute assistant adds even more sweetness 😉 . Ok, that was bad…but true! 🙂
- Transfer the filling to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight or for a few hours like I did 🙂
Directions for the cake
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Original recipe says to line two 8 inch spring-form pans with parchment paper, but I just greased two 8 inch cake pans really well and they popped right out.
- In a large bowl or food processor cream the eggs with honey.
- In a separate bowl combine flours with salt and baking soda.
- Add the dry mixture into the wet mixture and add vanilla extract or seeds from vanilla pod.
- Divide the mixture between prepared pans and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
For visual reference. The dough will be more dense. And it won’t rise much after cooking.
- Remove cakes from the oven and set aside to cool completely.
- After the cake is cooled off, smooth half of the frosting on top of one cake layer, and layer sliced strawberries.
- Place 2nd layer on top and spread a thin layer of the frosting on top and place strawberries with the top cut off around the cake.
- Scoop the rest into pastry bag or you can use a ziploc bag with the tip cut off. Squeeze onto cake for decoration!