Every year thus far for Maya’s birthday I’ve made some kind of pumpkin cake or pumpkin muffin, since her birthday is in October. This year, I finally gave her a choice.
SO not like me haha. And then…she picked my favorite birthday dessert-CHERRY!
Ok, for me, I picked Betty Crocker Cherry Chip Cake with Cherry Frosting every year growing up. OMG, sugar BOMB!!! And truth be told…I LOVED IT!!!!
BUT…I’m determined for Maya to love healthier althernatives, and so far, it’s working! What she doesn’t know, she doesn’t know. And natually sweetened treats, are treats!
I’m sure that’s going to bite me in the ass, but…until then….
I mainly used Coconut Mama’s recipe, but just added diced up frozen organic cherries and then drizzled some dark chocolate on them to make sure the kids in Maya’s class were more apt to eat them!
Using cocunut flour can be challenging, so I love to see what the consistency looks like! In my opinion, it’s more cookie dough like than muffin, but it all works out in the end!The original recipe called for only filling it to 3/4th full batter, but mine never raise that much, so…I filled them up!
And Maya drizzled dark chocolate on them once they came out of the oven… YUM!
Ingredients (makes 12 muffins or 24 minis)
- 3/4 cup of coconut flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon of sea salt
- 6 organic eggs
- 1/2 Cup of coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 Cup of pure maple syrup
- 1 Teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 Cup frozen cherries diced
For the drizzle
- 1 Cup Dark Chocolate
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix all dry ingredients together and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs and mix in melted coconut oil, honey, vanilla, and diced cherries.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Let sit for 3-5 minutes or until coconut flour has absorbed the liquid.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin pan.
- Fill each muffin tin ¾ full of batter.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Let muffins cool.
- Microwave chocolate and coconut oil in 20 second increments until smooth.
- Drizzle over muffins and enjoy!
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator.