I’ve been wanting to do a post about this for so long…
Honestly, fitness and exercise is more of our daily life than anything else we post about! BUT…in my mind, I wondered who wants to read about that? Um…Ok, A LOT OF PEOPLE!
So, I thought I’d tell how I stay fit. As a mom… As someone who is 40 and beyond… It’s different now, but I’ll try and share universal thoughts.
It’s also super important for me that some form of exercise is part of Maya’s daily life too, so…my number one tip?
- Get outside and be active with your kids! They need it and love it, and you are having quality time with them while keeping you both healthy! Go for a long walk around your neighborhood. If you live near any hiking places, go hiking (a post from a hike we did a while back coming soon!). Even in the colder rainy temps, layer up! I have this set for Maya, and we layer it under everything. If she gets too hot, we just peel the layers off! Lately, it’s been HER pushing me to run more! She will say “C’mon mom!! You can go faster than that! You can do it!! (Video Here :))
- Make a date with a friend or family incorporating exercise instead of food! This is good for a couple of reasons. If it’s raining or cold, it’s easier to just want to curl up with a book, but if you have someone counting on you to meet them, you are more likely to get out there. Instead of meeting for drinks/dinner. Meet a friend for a walk or run! Don’t get me wrong. I want to get out there and have some drinks with my friends, BUT…it can add up both monetarily and calorically. And, honestly, most of the time I don’t want to take away from family time at night. I have friend that I’ve been meeting every Monday for a 3 mile walk through the hills of our neighborhood. We get exercise, but we also get to have some weekly quality time together and uninterrupted conversations-double win! I know that isn’t a possibilty for moms that work 9-5 jobs, but you could make it a Sat or Sun morning date! Maya and I also meet up with my parents every Sunday morning for a walk. Lately, Maya has been running more, so we don’t get as much quality time with them, but it’s still better than nothing! If you have kids, working out with your spouse can be harder, but you could absolutely make it a family affair! With a stroller or once they are able…bikes!
- Join a class. Can you tell I find the easiest way to hold myself accountable is using others-haha? There is an outdoor bootcamp that I do through my local YMCA (more on THEM later!!) . I’ve made some good friends just from going there every week, and it’s SO nice having someone else forcing me to do things I’d never do on my own! And there are SO many classes offered at your local gyms!
- Find an App you like! There are so many apps out there for exercise! One of the things I’ve found challenging about some apps is that I have to stop what I’m doing to look at what they are doing next. OR…in reality, my eyesight is so bad that I have to have it in my face to see what they are doing. It’s great once I get the routine down, but not so great for new exercises. One app Aaptiv talks to you and plays customized music tailored to your tastes! They have programs for running, treadmill, elliptical, Indoor Cycling, Stair Climber, Strength Training, Stretching, Yoga, Walking, Meditation (I’ve SO been meaning to try this!!), Race Training, and more! It’s great if you only have a few minutes at home or aren’t able to meet someone else or make a class at the gym, because you can do a lot of the things outdoors or at home! AND…they have a 30 day free trial!
- Join a gym with good daycare-find a YMCA if you have one near you! Ok, this might sound obvious, and it is. BUT…when you are a mom, finding a gym with good child care is absolutely the difference between going and not going sometimes. I honestly should work for the YMCA, because I am one of it’s biggest supporters and tell every mom and dad I know to join-most do! The salesperson in me hasn’t died ha! Sadly, I don’t get paid for referrals, but I’m SO happy to give my friends happiness, and the YMCA is hands down been a life saver to my sanity and health. The YMCA is SO catered to making sure your kids have fun, and if they are running around having fun/getting exercise, that means you can work out and TAKE A SHOWER guilt free!! They have so many fun programs for kids and adults! One thing you can do together is swim. Maya and I go swimming every Sunday. I tell her we have to stay in the deep end, which means she swims the entire time, and I have to tread water or swim the entire time. Again…double win!
- Get a Kindle or listen to an audio book. I used to not be able to work out without music, and I’m still a firm believer that it gives you a certain adrenaline boost that undoubtedly helps while working out. However…I recently started reading while doing the elliptical, and it’s been a GAME CHANGER for me! I LOVE to read, but once I had Maya I “never had time” . I felt too guilty sitting on the couch reading, so I was lucky if I read for 15 min at night before bed. Now, I take my Kindle to the gym (or you can do the Kindle app on your phone if your eyesight allows ha!), and I’m reading again! It’s such a nice escape! Sometimes I’ll stay on extra long or go sit on the bike after if I’m at a good part in my book! I’m sure the same would apply to audio books, but I just haven’t tried them yet. Audio books would be GREAT for outdoor running or walking!
- Buy some cute/weather appropriate workout clothing. Ok. I know that the cute part might sound silly, BUT…whatever! When I have cute work out gear, I feel better! Oh, and if it’s flattering and sucks you in….EVEN BETTER! It might sound gross to some, but I still buy all my work out gear at thrift stores or eBay. Wash it on “sanitize” mode, and get over it!! You get it at a fraction of the cost, and you feel and look great! I get Lululemon pants for sometimes less than $10! My average is less than $20! Average for a jacket is $25! And let’s be honest…there’s some CUTE workout gear out there now!! SO…if you happen to wear it all day (I mean…I miiiiiiiight on occasion! ;)) you still feel cute! Same for kids! I said before, but I get Maya North Face jackets all the time for less than $10, and on eBay, I’ve been scoring her Ivviva (Lululemon’s kids line) for $10 or less.
I can add to this later, but would love to hear ideas that you have for staying fit!
Top- Lululemon (thrited for $14, similar here)
Pants- Lululemon “In the Flow” ($15 on eBay, similar here)
Shoes- New Balance “Fresh Foam Zante” (purchased through Joe’s New Balance)
Jacket- Ivivva “Live to Move” ($8 on eBay, but similar here)
Pants- Ivviva “Rythmic Crop” ($10 eBay)
Shoes- New Balance (thrifted, but similar here)
Keeping it Real…
It should first be noted that we took these pictures AFTER our actual morning walk.
Had I taken a shower…nope.
I’d always imagined I’d take these pictures with a perfectly curled pony tail, and I wouldn’t be in the midsts of my stress eating/drinking super busy work time, but…let’s be real.
SO…I put on a pair of Lululemon compression leggings. Which they don’t seem to offer anymore??!!! TRAGEDY! Do yourself a favor and eBay “In the Flow” and BUY A PAIR! They look so bizarre not on, but they are AMAZING! High rise to suck you in all over!
Um, never mind. This is just me normal…
So….while we do go for walks/runs every Sunday, I don’t bring my camera! I take lots of iPhone pics of our walks usually documented in our Instagram Stories! The other day we went BACK out after our walk and just grabbed a few pics with the tripod (shown above).
Here’s a hilarious video of the timer going off surprising us, and us just running back and forth hoping to get a shot or two haha. It should be noted that it was warmer in the morning when we took our walk, and then went down to 45 degrees later when we took these. SO…it was a get it in one try shoot! And…I love the shots we got!! Honestly, we are usually running and laughing anyways, so it’s a totally true depiction!
Here’s us turning around for another go! Not even remotely in focus, because I had set the focus point way ahead of this, but…who cares! I love it!
Here’s a few iPhone pics from the past few Sunday’s walks.
She literally says all the time that she wants to start a dog walking business. She literally stops for every dog “Can I pet your dog?” FYI…this is not our dog!
haha! We meet a lot of nice people… 🙂
Oh, and btw, this is the jacket Maya was wearing above. It was the same day, but the jacket is reversible!
When the tide is out, we go down and play on the beach.
FYI, North Face Jacket, Ivviva Pants, and Puma Sneakers all thrifted… Another compelling reason to get outside…this view!
Oh, and she’s wearing the 32 degree top here AND a REVERSIBLE Patagonia down jacket that was….$2.50!!! WHAAAAAT?! It had some stains, but a night in Oxyclean, and one side is now stain free! The other side has a stain under an arm!
Even in the rain. REI rain jacket…less than $5 at the thriftstore! Sadlly…the shoes aren’t waterproof, but also thrifted, so…
And yes, she usually brings along a toy, and YES, she rain with this!!
(all pictures taken with a shutter release and tripod, except ones of Maya :))