This is a variation of the classic Crème Brulee. Instead of heavy cream, this recipe calls for milk and powdered milk. Honey also adds a nice flavor. Serve with raspberries or other seasonal berries.
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup dry milk
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Topping: 3 Tbsp sugar and fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 300
- Combine first 4 ingredients in large saucepan and heat until tiny bubbles form around the edge (do not let boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Whisk egg yolks
- Gradually add hot milk mixture to egg mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk
- Whisk in the vanilla
- Divide the milk mixture evenly among 6 shallow (6-oz) custard dishes
- Place in 13×9 inch baking pan, add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch around the custard dishes
- Bake at 300 for 1 hour or until center barely moves when dish is touched (like jello)
- Remove dishes from pan, cool completely on a wire rack
- Cover and chill at least 4 hours or overnight
- Make the hard sugar topping just before you serve by sifting the 3 Tbsp sugar evenly over custards. Use a kitchen blow torch held about 2″ from top of each custard to heat, melt, and caramelize sugar (about 1 minute each).
- Top with raspberries and serve
A wonderful spring or summer dessert! Enjoy!