This is a great variation to a traditional ratatouille dish. By roasting the vegetables, you get rich flavors and melding of ingredients. The black olives and fresh basil were a nice touch. I served it with polenta and the whole dish was super yummy!
- 4 tomatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 each red, yellow and green bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1/2 onion, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, plus additional for garnishing
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Place two rimmed baking sheets in the oven for 4 minutes to heat.
- Meanwhile, toss the tomatoes, eggplant, peppers and onions with olive oil and garlic in a large bowl. Very carefully spread the vegetables on the hot baking sheets. Roast, shaking the pan once or twice to turn vegetables, until tender and golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss roasted vegetables with balsamic vinegar, basil and olives. Serve warm with sprigs of fresh basil.
I served this with polenta and grated parmesan cheese!
Thanks PCC Natural Markets!