I made a crown for Maya’s Pumpkin Princess Halloween costume last year (tutorial here) and loved how it turned out. So, I knew I could make this pretty easily too. Given the time constraints (made it the night before Halloween, since she decided on this costume the night before!), I think it turned out pretty well. Maya liked it, and that’s all that matters!
- A party hat. I tried making my own out of various cardboard and stock paper, even a paper towel roll, and didn’t work so well.
- Hot Glue Gun
- Tulle (about 4 inches long and the entire width of the fabric)
- Bamboo Skewer (or if you have metal ones that would work too)
- Hole punch
- Elastic (about a foot and a half to be safe)
What to do…
- Cut the hat up the middle and roll it tighter to the shape of a horn. Cut the excess off, and tape shut.Push the skewer through the tulle and push it through the open end of the horn. Pull the tulle all the way leaving about 1/2 an inch in the hat. Glue it in place. Then keep glue gunning about an inch at a time and wrap the tulle around the horn until you get to the bottom. Then tuck the end under and glue in place. Do two hole punches and thread your elastic into one. Tie a knot, and then thread the other end through. Make sure you put the horn on whoever is going to wear it and make sure it’s not too tight or too loose before you tie off the other end. You want it to stay on, but not hurt. I actually used a extra large rubber band at first (shown below), but it was too tight on Maya’s head. So, I used a black piece of elastic that was a lot longer than I had originally planned, measured it on her head, and it was perfect. More Halloween pics coming tomorrow!