I’ll admit…these were my 2nd attempt. I’ve been wanting to make a carrot cake version of the Banana Muffins I made, and my first attempt were just a liiiiiittle too healthy tasting haha. Maya gobbled them up, but that’s not really saying much 😉 So…I made them a little bit sweeter, and loved them! There’s still no refined sugar, so they are much healthier than the standard carrot cake. They are super moist, not heavy like other carrot cakes, and delicious!
Ingredients (makes 12 muffins)
- 4-5 small organic carrots (about a cup)
- 1/2 Cup unsweetened applesauce
- 6 Medjul Dates (pitted)
- 2 Eggs
- 1/8th teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/8th teaspoon salt
- 1/8th teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8th teaspoon grated fresh ginger (I cheat and use this)
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Pure Organic Honey
- 1 Cup Cooked Quinoa
- 1/4 Cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350
- Peel and break in half the carrots and pulse in a Cuisinart til shredded.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse til blended.
- Scoop 1/4 of a cup of the mixture into muffin tins
- Sprinkle shredded coconut on top
- Bake for 50-55 minutes.
- These are really moist. I’m not sure why. They don’t do well if you seal them up in a container, so just leave them out and they will not dry out. Enjoy!
Nutritional Facts (I entered all the ingredients into Calorie Count)
Serves 12 // Calories per muffin- 98 // Total Fat- 3.4g // Saturated Fat- 2.2g // Cholestererol- 27mg // Sodium- 146mg // Potassium- 198mg // Total Carbohydrates-15.1g // Dietary Fiber-1.5 // Sugars- 9g // Protein- 2.2g
Your pictures are amazingly shot! 🙂 Any tips for a food blogger that can’t seem to get the pictures right? XD I mean, I have a great camera, but I’m not the greatest photographer…
Thank you!! I’d say the most important thing when photographing food (or anything for that matter! 😊) is good light. I take all my pictures I our kitchen nook that has 2 large windows. You can always bring your food over near a window. I also use a macro lens, which let’s me get close to the food. If you don’t have a DSLR, most point and shoots have a macro setting! I’m only recently starting to play around with staging the food. So fun 😊. Thank you so much for the sweet comment!! Good luck!
These look delicious – I’ll have to give them a try!
Thank you!! I’d love to hear what you think if you do end up making them 😊 Enjoy!
Pingback: Healthy Carrot Cake Cupcakes // Gluten Free |