This is similar to the South of the Boarder Turkey Loaf. Stuffed with veggies, this is a “one dish meal” and great for large groups! Anders (who just turned ONE!) has been eating so much, I can barely keep up with lunches and dinners for him (oh and not to mention the rest of us). Starting to realize why my Grandma was an expert at making casseroles.. she had a big family to cook for! 🙂
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 zucchinis, finely sliced (use the slicer blade on your food processor)
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach (you can use fresh, but keep in mind that frozen spinach is denser)
- 1 carrot, shredded (grater blade on your food processor)
- Cheese, grated (Mexican blend works well) (omit for dairy free and paleo)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients (except cheese) and mix well
- Fill large 9×13 greased casserole dish
- Top with cheese
- Bake at 350* for 1 hr or until center is hot and bubbling and cheese is melted and golden brown
Super Mom Tip: This casserole freezes well! Freeze in serving size portions for reheating when there’s no time to make dinner. 🙂
This is a recipe that was passed down from my Nana (modified a little over the years), and I have yet to meet anyone (besides a vegetarian) that doesn’t gobble it down and get seconds!! It’s relatively healthy too! It’s my “go to” recipe to bring to new mom’s or anyone else that is in need of a meal. The boys always perk up when I tell them that’s what I’m making. It NEVER disappoints 😉Ingredients
- Box of Rotini or Bowtie pasta (I’ve been using the Eating Right Veggie Pasta from Safeway-1/2 a serving of veggies!)
- Container of ground turkey (not sure of oz since it varies) I’ve been doubling the meat lately for added protein since the boys can go through this entire pan otherwise). If you double the meat, use a 15×10 pan.
- Medium yellow onion
- Jar of your favorite red pasta sauce
- 8 oz of low fat Cream Cheese (non fat isn’t as good)
- 1/2 C low fat Sour Cream (I’ve been using a 6oz container of plain Greek Yogurt)
- 1 C low fat Cottage Cheese (I love the one that has Chive in it!)
- 1/2 C Green onion chopped
- 1/2 C Parmesan or mozzarella cheese (I always forget which one it is at the store, and they’re both good ;))
- Italian Seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 TBL of Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350
- Start boiling your water for the pasta.
- Put olive oil large a non stick pan. Add onions and stir for about 2 min (or until they start to get soft).
- Add ground turkey and sprinkle some Italian seasoning and a little salt and pepper.
- Hopefully your water is boiling by now and add the pasta in.
- Stir until turkey is browned and then add jar of pasta sauce
- Once pasta is done, drain and put back in pot. Add cream cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream/Greek yogurt, and chopped green onions.
- Then in 9×13 pan (or 10×15 if you doubled the turkey) layer meat/sauce mixture with pasta/cheese mixture till both are done. Sprinkle with parmesan and bake at 350 for 30 minutes (add 15 min if casserole was made ahead of time).
Super Mom Tip
Double the recipe and freeze one later. Just add 15 extra minutes to the thawed casserole.