This is a recipe that was passed down from my Nana (modified a little over the years), and I have yet to meet anyone (besides a vegetarian) that doesn’t gobble it down and get seconds!! It’s relatively healthy too! It’s my “go to” recipe to bring to new mom’s or anyone else that is in need of a meal. The boys always perk up when I tell them that’s what I’m making. It NEVER disappoints 😉Ingredients
- Box of Rotini or Bowtie pasta (I’ve been using the Eating Right Veggie Pasta from Safeway-1/2 a serving of veggies!)
- Container of ground turkey (not sure of oz since it varies) I’ve been doubling the meat lately for added protein since the boys can go through this entire pan otherwise). If you double the meat, use a 15×10 pan.
- Medium yellow onion
- Jar of your favorite red pasta sauce
- 8 oz of low fat Cream Cheese (non fat isn’t as good)
- 1/2 C low fat Sour Cream (I’ve been using a 6oz container of plain Greek Yogurt)
- 1 C low fat Cottage Cheese (I love the one that has Chive in it!)
- 1/2 C Green onion chopped
- 1/2 C Parmesan or mozzarella cheese (I always forget which one it is at the store, and they’re both good ;))
- Italian Seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 TBL of Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350
- Start boiling your water for the pasta.
- Put olive oil large a non stick pan. Add onions and stir for about 2 min (or until they start to get soft).
- Add ground turkey and sprinkle some Italian seasoning and a little salt and pepper.
- Hopefully your water is boiling by now and add the pasta in.
- Stir until turkey is browned and then add jar of pasta sauce
- Once pasta is done, drain and put back in pot. Add cream cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream/Greek yogurt, and chopped green onions.
- Then in 9×13 pan (or 10×15 if you doubled the turkey) layer meat/sauce mixture with pasta/cheese mixture till both are done. Sprinkle with parmesan and bake at 350 for 30 minutes (add 15 min if casserole was made ahead of time).
Super Mom Tip