Gosh…now, there’s a title!!
Before I became a mom, I heard and saw so many tales of things that frankly…scared the crap out of me!!
I’m going to gain a bunch of weight? I’ll have a bunch of stretch marks? I won’t have time or energy to work out afterwards? I will live in yoga pants (but damnit they’ll be CUTE!! ;}) and yearn for the days of my youth when I dressed up, actually wore make up, and looked good everyday?!!!
YES!!!! Those things are all true. And….yet, NO, they don’t have to be!!!Gosh, this is so true for SO many things!!
For Me. I don’t really make the time to do my hair, make up, or nails. When I do, it’s a total luxury. And, truth be told. I wish I had time to cook amazing meals for my family every night. Let’s be honest. I could…if it was important to me. BUT, I usually throw together the same 5 things on repeat, and only branch out now and then (and obviously blog about it when I do haha!).
Here’s my top 5 ways I stay healthy.
- Food. I try and keep to an 80/20 rule. Ok…70/30, but maaaaybe 60/40 sometimes. ;} Try to keep the healthy eating to a majority. For me, if I go to too much of an extreme, I give up. Then…I go off the deep end in the other direction. I have MAD RESPECT for all of you that strictly stick to Whole30, any kind of cleanse, or other diets. I think the most important thing is listening to YOUR body, and what’s best for YOU! But, if you want it to be a way of life vs a diet, I strongly recommend some leeway for things here and there, unless of course it’s a health concern or allergy!
- Do not weigh yourself every day, BUT do weigh yourself once a week. Yes, muscle weighs more than fat. And yes, SALT can make the scale say you gained a &^%$ ton of weight!! BUT…if you try and limit it to once a week. You will have a gauge. For me, I can talk myself into it being all good by squeezing into my favorite stretchy jeans, when I KNOW that it hasn’t. So, I need to have a little check in to catch myself. I try and give my self a 5 lb swing. When I get over that 5 lbs, that’s when I know I have to button down the hatches and get back on track. And to be real. I go up and down those 5 lbs all the time.
3. Join a gym that has FREE child care!! I should have made this #1, because….DUH!! FREE CHILD CARE!!! We became members of the YMCA about a year ago, and it was the BEST THING WE’VE EVER DONE!!! Ok, that might be a sliiiiiight exageration, BUT….FREE CHILD CARE!! For…TWO HOURS!! Where your kid runs around on amazing fun equipment, does CRAFTS!!!, and plays with kids their age….all the while, YOU get to work out, OR…shower (UNINTERUPTED!), OR…work on your laptop in the lobby, OR…just sit and stretch all the while coasting on social media, that you never have time for otherwise ;} Have I totally given you a glimpse of my life?? YES I HAVE! (If you don’t have the money for a gym membership, there are SO many at home videos or workouts on Pinterest that you can do from home) Then, your kids can SEE you working out, and it shows them how important it is.
4. When Maya was smaller, I wore her all the time. My Ergo was my best friend. I had a C-Section, so working out was a no go for a while. So…I wore her, and I walked. It was amazing. I got out of the house-YAY! I had her next to me-YAY! She got fresh air-YAY! And I burned a lot of calories while doing something that I loved, that wasn’t overly exerting. It had me spending time with my daughter, oh and I usually went with my parents or friends. More time spent with family and friends is a total win and a luxury when you’re a busy parent!
5. Get some cute work out clothes. Ok, that might just be me, but if you are looking at this blog, then it’s most likely you too!! I swear when I have a cute outfit on, I feel better! If that makes me shallow, then…well, there you go. It’s no secret that I buy the majority of my clothing at thrift stores, on eBay, on ThredUP, or my local consignment stores. You do NOT have to spend a ton of money on work out clothing. And if it creeps you out. Wash it on sanitize. It’s NO different. Get over it, and look cute! On someone else’s dime 😉
Fitness and trying to stay healthy is important to both Esther and I. We might start doing a few posts here and there about it. Would that interest anyone? We ABSOLUTELY welcome comments on how YOU fit everything in and stay healthy and fit as a mom! Or, if you have any questions, fire away!!
For more fitness inspiration, check out Esther’s Post on how she went from not really “getting” yoga, to getting totally hooked on Hot Yoga from yesterday!