These delicious mini pizzas are made with a base of eggplant and topped with sauce, veggies, cheese and fresh basil. I added some fresh pesto as well and these were delicious! 🙂 Gluten free and grain free and almost paleo (omit cheese for paleo) these are a great alternative to traditional pizza! 🙂
- 1 globe eggplant, about 8 ounces and 9-10 inches long and sliced into 3/4″ slices
- Salt for sprinkling on eggplant slices to draw water out
- 1-2 T olive oil, for brushing eggplant before roasting
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning or a combination of basil, oregano and thyme
- 1-2 mushrooms, finely diced
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/3 cup finely grated low-fat mozzarella blend
- Fresh Basil Pesto – 1 tsp for each slice of eggplant (optional)
- 10 large basil leaves, cut in chiffonade strips (optional)
- Cut off both ends of the eggplant; then cut it into 3/4 inch thick slices (trying to make them the same thickness)
- Put the eggplant pieces on a double layer of paper towels and sprinkle both sides generously with salt. Let the eggplant sit with the salt on it for about 30 minutes to draw out the liquid. (After the eggplant sits for 15 minutes, turn on the oven to 375F/190C.)
- After 30 minutes, wipe the eggplant dry with a knife or paper towels (this also removes most of the salt.) Spray a roasting sheet with olive oil or non-stick spray, lay eggplant slices on, brush the tops of the eggplant with olive oil, and sprinkle with dried Italian seasoning. Roast the eggplant about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove eggplant from the oven and turn oven setting to broil.
- Spread a few tablespoons of sauce on the top of each eggplant slice, sprinkle with chopped veggies, cheese and some of the fresh basil.
- Put pizzas under the broiler until the cheese is melted and slightly browned.
- Serve hot, with a dollop of fresh basil pesto and some more fresh basil if using.
Inspired by, modified and simplified from the original – thanks KalynsKitchen!