This is a totally delicious cake! Eat it for breakfast or dress it up for high tea or dessert! You can enjoy this as is for paleo goodness, or add an optional sweet and citrusy glaze to make it even more amazing!
Though I haven’t tried it, Elana (from Elanaspantry.com) says there’s a Starbucks version out there that tastes just like this one.
The one tricky part of this recipe is that you have to boil oranges for 90 minutes. So plan ahead. The oranges are low maintenance while cooking, but keep an eye so you don’t run out of water. As an extra bonus, your house will be filled with a refreshing and natural citrusy aroma! 🙂
- 2 oranges
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup agave nectar or honey (original recipe says 3/4 cup)
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/4 tsp celtic sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 orange, thinly sliced for decoration
- Wash the oranges and boil them whole (peel and all) for 1 ½ hours, or until soft
- Place whole oranges (peel and all) in a food processor and blend until smooth
- Process in eggs, agave, almond flour, salt and baking soda until well blended
- Pour batter into a greased 9 inch cake pan
- Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean
- Cool in the pan for 2 hours
- Make glaze by working orange juice into powdered sugar. You can add more/less liquid to get desired consistency. Pour onto cake and even out with spatula. Decorate with optional orange slices.
- Enjoy or refrigerate for a few days (if you can keep from eating it up)! 🙂
Thanks for the inspiration Elanaspantry.com!