As a working mother of 2 teenage stepsons and a toddler, dinners aren’t always what I imagine or want them to be. If I can make them reasonably healthy, easy, and edible I count it as a major win! So, you know who gets a lot of our grocery business? Costco! I don’t have the time, patience or wallet to go to all the various grocery stores, and if you have a bigger family-Costco is a home run. So, I do a lot of what I like to call “Costco Hacks”. The term “Ikea Hack” has become pretty well known as a term of making something inexpensive into something that doesn’t look inexpensive at all, and I think that the same can be made of food!
You can totally do that with Costco/Trader Joe’s too! Especially if you have a family. Gather a bunch of ingredients, and then make them into meals that are healthy, relatively easy, and enjoyable across the board! And above all…share with the rest of us!!!
So…for my first official “Costco Hack” installment… Everything in this salad is from Costco.
And sadly, I know I could have made it look better, but I got the idea to take pictures after I had tossed it all together. Which jumbled it all and made it look messy. I guarantee it tasted a LOT better than it looked 🙂
There’s something about the grilled onion diced up into the salad. It added such a yummy flavor, that I do it almost every time we grill for dinner! Ingredients
- 4 Individual Chicken Breasts (frozen then defrosted)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- Olive oil and salt and pepper to coat both chicken and onions (to taste)
- 1 Avocado
- Handful of Cherry Tomatos
- 2 Handfuls of Mixed Greens
- 2 Handfuls of the “Sweet Kale Frise Chou Doux” Mix
- One pouch of the Poppyseed Dressing.
- Cheese of your choice. I was going to do some goat cheese, but I had some Parmesan on hand and that was yummy too. A little goes a long way with all the other flavors, so use sparingly and it will still be delicious!
- Heat your grill to medium heat.
- Marinate defrosted chicken in olive oil and salt and pepper
- Slice your onion to 1/2 inch thickness and coat with olive oil and salt and pepper
- Place Chicken Breasts and Onions slices on grill for 8-10 minutes (depending on size) then flip and cook again for 8-10 minutes (depending on size)
- Toss the various greens together.
- Add Avocado and tomatoes.
- Once chicken and onions are done, dice them up and add them to the mix.
- Sprinkle with cheese of your choice, add dressing and toss to ENJOY!