This is some serious comfort food – perfect for this dreary January weather – juicy ground beef and spices are tossed with vegetables and topped with golden and buttery mashed potatoes! 🙂
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain; run through a food mill, ricer or mash. Stir in butter and milk; season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and garlic; cook, until soft, about 7 minutes. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the fat.
- Stir in tomato paste, peas, and parsley; season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer meat mixture to an ovenproof dish. Spread potatoes over the top and crosshatch with a fork. Bake until golden, 30 to 35 minutes.
Super Mom Tip: Make days to weeks in advance and freeze! When ready, defrost in fridge overnight and bake per directions above.
Thanks to PCC Natural Markets and note that this recipe has been modified from the original.