I’ve seen this recipe in various forms, and have been so intrigued by all the garlic! 40 cloves sounds like a lot, but it really isn’t! I might add more next time I make it. When it bakes, it gets golden on the outside and buttery smooth on the inside. It’s not overpowering at all and so delicious!! I added some onion and lemon to give it a little more flavor, and I think next time I will throw in some grape tomatoes!Ingredients
- 4 chicken breasts (I used boneless and skinless, although you could use bone in!)
- 40 garlic cloves, peeled (I bought pre-peeled cloves from Costco, and yes, I counted them :))
- One large yellow onion cut into 1 inch pieces.
- 2 lemons cut into 1/4 inch slices and quartered.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste (I did about 20 grinds for the pepper and 10 for the sea salt)
- Garnish with fresh basil (mainly because I have a basil plant that I’ve managed to keep alive! :))
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Put chicken breasts, garlic, and lemons in a big bowl. Pour olive oil over the entire mixture, salt and pepper to taste and toss until everything is evenly coated.
- Pour into 9×13 pan and cover pan with aluminum foil.
Bake for covered for 30 minutes.
Uncover and cook for 15 minutes uncovered or until chicken is cooked all the way through.(I used really large chicken breasts and did them for an extra 10 minutes.)
- I served it over quinoa, but it would be fine all by itself with a salad or with some crusty artisan bread that you could smear the garlic on YUM!!! (Not Paleo or Whole 30 if you do this :))