There are many excellent gluten free pizza doughs out there, but what if you want to go grain-free and/or paleo? Veggie pizzas are a great alternative. Think zucchini, eggplant or cauliflower for your crust. Top with sauce, meats and veggies, and cheese (optional) of course! I made this one with zucchini and topped it with tomato sauce, cheese and fresh pesto! Yum! Ingredients
- 2 c. zucchini, finely grated, lightly packed (use grater blade on your food processor for easy prep)
- ½-3/4 c. almond meal
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 T. coconut oil
- ½ t. oregano
- ¼ t. garlic powder
- ⅛ t. salt (you don’t need much because the zucchini will retain some)
- Toppings: fresh herbs, vegetables, meats, cheese, pesto
- Place the grated zucchini in a strainer and sprinkle with a little salt, tossing to mix it in a bit
- Place the strainer over a large bowl, and let the zucchini drain for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the grated zucchini into a dry dish towel and squeeze, or press out as much as you can in the strainer
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add almond meal as needed to make a dough (not too wet, not too dry).
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, spread the zucchini mix out into an oval shape. I use a fork to do this, and I press it down to compact it as well.
- Place the pan on the bottom rack of the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Then place the pan on the top rack of the oven for ~8 minutes, until browned.
- Remove the pan and flip the crust, bake for another ~5 minutes. Then remove and turn oven up to 500.
- Top the pizza with sauce, pesto, and whatever your favorite toppings are
- Place the pizza back into the oven and bake for ~5 minutes more
Thanks Oatmeal with a Fork blogger for this tasty recipe!