Artichoke soup – yum! Full of veggies, delicate herbs, and rich with a splash of cream. This would be a great paleo soup if you substitute coconut milk for the dairy. 🙂
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Herbes de Provence (found it at PCC in bulk – it’s basically a blend of savory, marjoram, rosemary, thyme oregano and sometimes lavender)
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less to adjust the heat)
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 3 (14-ounce) cans artichoke hearts, drained
- 2 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Cook onions, celery, carrots, garlic, thyme, Herbes de Provence, celery seed, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper until soft, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add artichoke hearts, vegetable stock, milk, cream and bay leaf.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and carefully blend soup with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender or food processor. Adjust seasoning and serve.