What to wear to a video shoot? I’m still learning, but here are some tips I’ve gathered on the way.
- Do wear solid colors
- Bright colors are good – they often seem brighter in person than on screen
- Neutral and muted colors and pastels work very well too
- Do wear make-up
- Do wear fun shoes!
- Don’t wear patterns or stripes, it confuses the camera
- Don’t wear pure black or white as the camera will boost the contrast and white can seem very bright and black can look very dark
- Don’t wear jewelry that jingles or makes noise when you move as the mic tends to be super sensitive
- Don’t wear glasses if possible because they can pick up glare from the lights and be distracting on camera. Tthis is a classic “Don’t do as I do, just do as I say!” since I wore glasses during my video shoot below – but I was reading a teleprompter and felt more comfortable in glasses. Bottom line – do what’s best for you!
Most importantly – wear something you FEEL good in! This will boost your confidence and if you are comfortable or uncomfortable – it will show up in your body language and face.
When in doubt, bring multiple outfits and have the camera operator do a quick on-camera check. Ahem.. there might be a reason my daughter has three outfit changes before leaving the house in the morning..! 😛On me…
- Jeans- these are my basic skinny jeans from GAP
- Top – GAP and sorry I can’t find anything quite like it! It’s a light sweater with sequin embellishments at the front. Something like a simple button down would work, see this one from A.Byer on Amazon or something simple like a crew neck from Boden
- Shoes- Bandolino strappy wedges, similar at Shoes.com