I saw this original recipe from Lovely Little Kitchen for Greek yogurt biscuits on Pinterest, and I pinned it right away. First of all, her photographs are all beautiful! I wanted to eat everything just from the looks of it! Then, I read the ingredients…and made it the next night for friends haha. I tweaked a few things (my tweaks are in italics), and turned them into a healthier strawberry shortcake. They were DELICIOUS!!!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons very cold butter, cubed
- ¾ cup nonfat Greek yogurt (she used plain, but I used honey flavored-YUM!)
- 1 egg
- Extra container of either vanilla or honey flavored Greek yogurt
- 1-2 tablespoon of honey
Directions (taken directly from here)
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Using the paddle attachment, mix in cold, cubed butter until you have a crumb mixture. If you don’t have a paddle attachment, you can cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or two forks by hand. You want to keep little pea sized clumps of cold butter in your dough because this will create little air pockets in the biscuits as they bake and make them nice and fluffy.
- In a separate small bowl, beat the egg and then stir in the Greek yogurt.
- Add the egg and yogurt to the dry ingredients on low speed until a dough ball forms and pulls away from the edge of the bowl.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough about ten times.
- Roll out the dough to 1 inch thick. Using a 3 inch round cutter or the rim of a glass, cut out biscuits and place them on a Silpat lined or greased baking sheet. I greased my cookie sheet with coconut oil, which added a delicious light coconut flavor.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes. The tops of the biscuits should be golden brown.
- Slice the biscuits in half. Layer with strawberries, a dollop of Greek yogurt, drizzle with warm honey and ENJOY!!!