This combination of beets, oil & vinegarette and toasted walnuts is delicious! Great as an appetizer, side or salad. 🙂
- 3 pounds beets
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- dash of salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup olive or walnut oil
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 3/4 bunch green onions, sliced
- 1/4 red onion, sliced into thin half-moons (optional)
- Steam or boil beets until fork tender, it will really depend on their size, but about 20-40 minutes. Cut off root and stem ends and slip off skins under cool, running water while beets are still warm (easiest way to do this is to sort of ‘massage’ the beets and the skin will come right off). Cool beets.
- Whisk together vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper and oil until dressing is blended.
- Cut cooled, peeled beets into 1-inch wedges and toss with dressing.
- To toast walnuts, preheat oven to 350° F. Spread nuts on a cookie sheet and toast for about 4 to 5 minutes. Let cool. Roughly chop toasted walnuts.
- Add walnuts, green onions and red onions to dressed beats; toss to combine.
Super mom tip: Beets can be cooked days in advance and stored in the fridge. Just keep them unpeeled until you are ready to use.
Thanks PCC deli and recipes!