So it wouldn’t be fall without pumpkin pie and I couldn’t wait till Thanksgiving to try out a gluten free (GF) version of this traditional pie! I made some minor tweaks to the classic Libby’s Pumpkin Pie recipe (the one on the back of the cans) and it turned out great! First, I substituted a gluten free (GF) crust and second, I used coconut palm sugar (1:1 ratio to regular white sugar) since that’s what I had in the house. The pie was a little darker in color, but it was EXCELLENT!
- 3/4 cup sugar (I used coconut palm sugar – which has a lower glycemic index than regular sugar cane sugar)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 1 can (15 oz) 100% pure pumpkin
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
- 1 unbaked 9″ deep-dish pie shell (I used a gluten free pie crust from Wholly Wholesome)
- Mix sugar, salt, spices in a small bowl
- Beat eggs in a large bowl and stir in pumpkin and sugar/spice mixture
- Gradually stir in evaporated milk
- Pour into pie shell
- Bake in preheated 425* oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350* and bake 40-50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean
- Cool n wire rack for 2 hours.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate
- Top with whipped cream! 🙂
Super mom tip: Don’t keep that many spices stocked? Save a step and use 1 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice instead of the cinnamon/ginger/cloves.