It’s a damp October evening in Seattle. Get your cozy on with this hot soup that is so bright and cheery you will forget about the rain!
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp ginger, finely chopped
- 2 lbs carrots
- 1 lime, divided – grated (for zest) and squeezed for the garnish
- 2 Tbsp butter
- salt, pepper
- 1 quart vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup coconut milk or heavy cream
- Melt butter in large pot
- Chop the onion and the ginger into small pieces and grate the lime zest, and add to pot
- Sauté the onion, ginger and lime zest in a pan with the butter
- Add the carrots and some pepper and then sauté for another 2 minutes
- Add the broth and bring to boil. Simmer for 20 minutes
- Puree the soup with a hand blender and add the cream
- Cut the avocado into pieces, chop the cilantro add some lime juice, salt and pepper and toss together lightly. Set aside.
- Serve soup w/2-3 spoons of avocado mixture in each bowl
Paleo tip: use coconut milk, not cream, that’s it!
Super mom tip: Use a 2lb bag of peeled baby carrots – who has time for peeling or scrubbing carrot skins anyway? If you are peeling them, consider that there are good nutrients in carrot skins and just scrub them with a vegetable brush to clean.