Bacon, Blue Cheese and Pears, oh my! This tasty salad could be served as a side, but it’s so yummy you may want to make it an entrée with optional roasted chicken as extra protein!
What’s endive? I didn’t know either. It’s a slightly bitter tasting leaf vegetable that is perfectly balanced in this salad with the sweetness of the pears and salty bacon.
- 3 tablespoons sherry or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 heads endive, thinly sliced
- 5 ounces baby arugula (salad greens or more endive works well too!)
- 3 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese (omit for dairy free and paleo)
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- 1 pear – halved, cored and thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, combine vinegar, mustard, honey, shallot and garlic. Let sit 15 minutes to soften shallot and garlic and to infuse flavor. Slowly whisk in the olive oil to create an emulsified dressing. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add endive and arugula to the bowl; toss to coat. Divide salad between 6 plates and sprinkle with bacon, blue cheese, pistachios and sliced pears.
Thanks PCC Natural Markets for the inspiration!