First of all – what’s easier than awesome Chicken Chili? I don’t know.. Little prep, super easy, slow cooker Chicken Chili! This is a fantastic slow-cooker/crock pot recipe! And let me say that I haven’t always been a huge fan of the crock pot (let’s just say we have a love/hate relationship). I’ve had many recipes turn out as just a pot of mushy vegetables (well what do you expect after 8 hours of cooking?). BUT – there’s hope – some recipes lend themselves very well to the crock pot and you can rest assured that I’ll be sure to try them before posting here! I also put them to the toddler/husband test and will give options for adjusting spices, etc. 🙂
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 c chicken broth
- 2 green, yellow or red peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 tsps ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder or cayenne (careful, as this adds heat!)
- 1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp chopped jalapeno (careful, this also adds heat)
- If you are not doing the paleo thing, a can of corn and one of cannellini beans are an excellent addition
- Shredded cheese
- Sliced avocado or guacamole
- Chopped cilantro
- In the slow cooker, combine onion, chicken, chicken broth, tomatoes, peppers, and spice
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6 hours
- Once cooked shed the chicken with two forks
- If you are adding corn and beans, do that now
- Return lid and let the soup heat
- Sprinkle desired toppings on individual bowls of soup and serve hot
So easy, so yummy!
Super mom tip: the recipe above makes a large batch. Ladle into freezer containers and store for easy re-heating!
Paleo what? What’s up with the whole Paleo thingy? Read more about my journey and some great resources on my food blog, Les Petits Pois!