If I need to make a “fail proof” recipe or am in a hurry and need something you just know is going to be good.. I turn to Martha Stewart. Her recipes are thoroughly perfected, if sometimes a little elaborate. I guess that is my only hesitation with some of her stuff.. perfect yes, but sometimes a real commitment in the kitchen. (Usually worth the effort though.) This coleslaw is delicious AND quick! I added the option of green pepper, green onions and parsley!
This is a fantastic side to pulled pork which I will publish a recipe for later this week!
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 small green cabbage, (about 1 3/4 pounds), finely shredded
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/8-inch-thick matchsticks or coarsely grated
- 1 small onion, coarsely grated (optional)
- 1 green pepper, shredded or finely diced (optional)
- Small bunch of green onions, sliced, for garnish (optional)
- Parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Whisk together mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, salt, mayonnaise, and sour cream in a small bowl. Refrigerate dressing, covered, until ready to use, or up to 2 days.
Put cabbage, carrots, and onion (if desired) in a large bowl. Pour in dressing, and toss thoroughly. Refrigerate, covered, until slaw begins to soften, 1 to 2 hours. If not using immediately, refrigerate, covered, up to 2 days. Just before serving, toss coleslaw again.
Thank you Martha Stewart!