This is great as a chilled summer dessert! Creamy rice pudding, sweetened naturally by milk and cinnamon, topped with chopped mango – a delicious balance of tart and sweet. The dish draws on Indian and Scandinavian flavors, where both cardamom, cinnamon and rice are staple ingredients in a variety of dishes.
- 6 cups whole milk (or coconut milk if you prefer)
- 1/3 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon + more for garnish
- 2 cups chopped peeled mango (about 2 large mangos)
- Combine whole milk and rice in large saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and gently boil for 40 minutes or until mixture thickens
- Stir in coconut milk, cardamom and cinnamon and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly
- Spoon~1/2 cup servings into dessert bowls (makes 8 servings)
- Top with chopped mango and a sprinkle of cinnamon