I’m not sure what it is about red shoes, but I’m totally drawn to them! I’m not as big a fan of colorful clothing, but give me all the colorful shoes!!! :)And the gold studs and tassle zipper up the back?!! IN LOVE! This is her new thing. I ask for a hug and she tries to kneel on my chest? Not quite the same… She’s still not quiiiiiiiiite 100% after being sick. haha. Walking around the neighborhood took it out of her ;)But, we went back outside after dinner to play frisbee, and she was re-energized! :)
It’s the time of year when we start eating every meal outside on our deck – so lovely! Here’s an easy and delicious (and pretty!) salad. :-)
- Mixed greens (spinach and arugula are great, but really any mixed greens work well)
- Candied pecans
- Goat Cheese
- Olive Oil
- Balsamic or White Champagne Vinegar
- Toss greens with vinegar and olive oil
- Add in raspberries and pecans and toss lightly
- Top with goat cheese
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
On the dinner menu: I served this with Herb and Parmesan Baked Salmon and chilled Sauvignon Blanc.
I love anything cherry flavored. Growing up, I always requested cherry chip cake with cherry icing. Everyone in my family groaned, and thus said I only requested it so I could eat the whole thing. While, somewhat true… I mean what kid doesn’t want the whole cake to themselves?? I really did (ok, do…if I let myself make it, which I can’t…) love it!! I’ve come across other die hard cherry chip lovers in my adulthood. Don’t knock it til you’ve tried it!!! :)
Anywho! I also love Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia! YUM. I’ve been dying to try to make a healthier version. I succeeded a while back, but was rushed and took horrible pictures.
This week had been hard on both Maya and myself with us both being sick. She’d been abnormally bipolar. We’d been stuck in the house without school or other activities we usually do during the week. I’d been sick too and sleep deprived due to her being sick, so we were both a little stir crazy. All in all…not a good combination. SO…a treat was in order for us both!!
Thankfully, I still had most of the ingredients on hand to try the recipe again! And…I do believe it was even better than the first attempt!Ingredients (serves 4-Maya and I shared the above…it’s a pretty large serving ;))
- 2 Frozen Bananas (cut into 2-3 inch pieces prior to freezing)
- 1 cup frozen cherries
- 1/3 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Half of a vanilla bean (slice open and scrape inside out)
- Garnish with dark chocolate chips, dried cherries, and unsweetened coconut (optional)
Put frozen bananas, frozen cherries, almond milk, and inside of vanilla bean in a Cuisinart, or blender and pulse until it looks like this (you might have to stop and stir occasionally. Also, might need to add more Almond Milk depending on the size of your bananas.Maya loves to push the pulse button :) She also likes to get in the way and try eat whatever I’m photographing :) Garnish with the dark chocolate, dried cherries, and unsweetened coconut (although, omit this if you are strict on certain diets). Enjoy! We did ;)
When life gives you.. lemons? Paleo lemon bars (pure deliciousness) to the rescue! These are a perfect cool summer dessert. Crowd pleasers and a great protein rich, not too sweet, not too tart dessert.
These did not last very long in my house.. just a warning, they are super yummy! :)
- 1/2 cup almond flour (or sesame flour if allergic to nuts)
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 3 Tbsp raw honey
- 2 Tbsp ghee or coconut oil (warmed if solid)
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup raw honey (warmed if solid)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix almond flour, tapioca flour, raw honey and lemon zest in a food processor until a crumbly dough forms
- Press into the bottom of an 8×8 glass baking dish
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes
- To make filling, whisk eggs in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk the lemon juice and tapioca flour until fully combined.
- Whisk lemon mixture and eggs together, being careful to not over-whisk
- Whisk in the raw honey
- Pour filling over crust
- Place in oven and let bake for ~25 minutes or until just set (firm on outside, a little wiggly in center)
- Remove from oven and allow to cool, refrigerate until set, about 4 hours
Thanks for the inspiration http://www.paleocupboard.com/lemon-bars.html
I’d be lying if I said I wore this first outfit anywhere but the sidewalk while Maya was napping haha. BUT…when we came home from the beach and my shoes were all sandy and wet, I thought about changing shoes. It hit me, that a nicer pair would totally change the outfit. SO…we will start with that :)And, yes, I’m a wrinkled mess. Sorry…not sorry. These shoes are actually really comfortable!! I love that they add a little height, but don’t make me feel like I’m going to topple over from being out of practice wearing heels! In reality, this is what I wore for most of the day…I’ve had a few clients lately who’s kids don’t want to get dirty. They kind of freak out in fact… It’s actually kind of funny, and I’m sure a mixed blessing. Yeah…that’s not Maya! ;}On me…
For $9, I took this relatively simple and casual outfit, and dressed it up ($4 for the vintage silk scarf, and $5 for the sandals). I scored this super cute vintage silk scarf while I was on my girls trip. I keep wanting to figure out how to wear it in my hair, and a) have it stay put b) not look like I’m totally trying too hard. So far, I haven’t succeeded in either of those, so…instead I wore it as a belt! :) This was supposed to be a hug. Maya had other plans. Does she think she’s in the circus?? Maya calls this her “Rapunzel dress”. I have no idea why, but I totally know what one she means when she asks to wear it. I usually say no (it’s silk…), but since she’d been super sick for the past 4 days, I said yes. Truth be told. Getting out of our self imposed lock down to play dress up for a little bit sounded really nice. Oh, you’re going over there? I see… I know how to get her back though ;) She’s obsessed with other people’s mail boxes!! And…my jewelry as of late. She found this bracelet of mine and carries it/wears it everywhere. It’s a cuff, and I bent it so it closed. It aaaaalmost fits her.Telling our neighbors how old she is. Nope, not 6…just a double dose of 3!On me…
This is a super easy way to prepare salmon! Brush with a little olive oil, fresh herbs, some cheese and bake! Even my kids loved it (to my surprise, because they have not been fans of fish lately) – win win! :-)
- 1lb slab of salmon
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Some sprigs of fresh herbs (I used thyme and oregano), torn
- Handful of parmesan cheese (omit if strict paleo)
- Oil baking dish
- Add salmon and brush lightly with oil
- Sprinkle fresh herbs on salmon
- Top with cheese
- Bake @ 350 for 25-28 minutes